Thursday, July 31, 2008

Distraction

I just got back from a week-long trip to Greece, time I intended to use not only to attend my good friend's wedding but also to reflect on my desires and implement at least the workings of a plan I would stick to for Changing My Life. (It needs the capital letters, it does.)

Instead I went to the beach every day and forgot about my life in New York. This, of course, while not being productive, was therapeutic in its own way.

Travel is something in which, no matter how low I've felt, I have never lost interest. What better way to learn simultaneously about yourself (am I really that square?) and others (wow, the Greeks eat dinner really late)? There are few places I wouldn't want to experience at least briefly. Of course it was financially irresponsible, but it would have been a crime against self-actualization to pass up the opportunity to see a new place and share in a friend's joy.

No comments: