Friday, August 15, 2008

Don't Get Me Started

My friend Pam recently blogged about her English-language pet peeve, which got me to thinking about my own. There are undoubtedly several, but the one that really jumped out at me is this (I'll demonstrate with an example): "A recent study demonstrated that more women ride the bus." This was in today's paper.

More women ride the bus than WHAT? More women than men ride the bus? More women ride the bus in 2008 than rode the bus in 1998? More women ride the bus than ride the subway? More women ride the bus than ride in cars? More women ride the bus than ride horses (or cowboys)?

You simply canNOT make that statement. You MUST elaborate.

It absolutely infuriates me when people try to make a comparative statement but leave off the most important part. Have we become that lazy?

2 comments:

Pam said...

Amen, sistah! Preach it!

Anonymous said...

am I going to have fun
I am going to have fun
this could be fun



what fun!